Renting in NSW

NSW Fair Trading is a New South Wales government agency that protects the rights of consumers, including matters relating to tenancy laws/rights. For more information, visit their website.

When you rent a room or a property you become a 'renter' or a 'tenant', you have certain rights and responsibilities you need to abide by. 

Renting a property: If you are renting a property, you will most likely use a Residential Tenancy Agreement, which is a legally binding contract between the tenant and the landlord. Under this agreement, you are both covered under the Residential Tenancies Act 2010.

Renting a room in a shared property: If you are renting a room in a shared house or unit, you will either use a Share Housing Agreement or a Residential Tenancy Agreement. You will rent a room or rooms and have access to shared areas in the property, such as the kitchen, lounge room, and laundry.  

Helpful links: